Thursday, June 19, 2014

Canyonlands National Park


Canyonlands National Park is one of the most remote places we've ever been. We drove thirty-five miles off the main road, outside of Moab,  and found ourselves in middle of what seemed like the set from an old John Wayne movie.  It was interesting to learn that this national park was only celebrating its 50th anniversary this year.  President Lyndon Johnson designated it a national park in 1964, saving it from the hands of politicians who wanted to dam up the Colorado River and change the landscape forever.  Unlike the other parks we've been to so far, there were no services-- no water,  no flush toilets, no restaurants, just a visitor's center and plenty of helpful rangers. So they warn you to bring in your own food and water.  What struck us was the vast open spaces and the shear and complete silence-- almost deafening in its totality.  Yes, there were other tourists like us, but with such distances between the various outlook spots and trailheads, people from all over the world, seemed especially glad to say hello.

We are staying in Moab for three nights at a condo we rented through VRBO and it is really nice.  Tonight we had dinner at a great restaurant called the Desert Bistro, which was a couple of block walk from where we are staying.  Somehow, I messed up my knee and I've been hobbling along, rather than hiking. But I 'may never be this way again,' so I have decided that I can rest my knee when I get home. I know I look like a dork, using my hiking poles to gingerly walk along flat, easy trails, but I don't care.  Walking, or should I say hobbling, is worth the magnificent views at the end of the path!

This dizzying spot is called Mesa Arch and is just breathtaking!
We expected to see John Wayne come by on his horse!
 The National Park's motto was certainly appropriate: "Your safety is your responsibility!" One wrong step and yipes!
Rob didn't seem as scared as I was with the lack of guard rails!
We had our lunch near this arch today and met tourists from all over the world. For such a remote place, it was popular!
Along Route 279 were these ancient petroglyphs estimated to be about 6,000 years old.  As I snapped these photos, Rob decided to take a swim in the Colorado River, which was across the road.  The current was swift, so it was a short swim!
These were just amazing and almost surreal in their size!

No comments:

Post a Comment