Saturday, June 7, 2014

Road Trips With My Kids


 Eagle Lake in the Endless Mountains
Tucked behind the tree line at the far end of the fields that once grew corn, was a  magical spot. Through the tall forest of trees, green with moss on the north side of the bark, past the ferns and mushrooms, and beyond to a clearing where a small spring fed pond lives, was my childhood’s version of the most perfect place. Being there made me happy, content and immeasurably at peace.  Quite simply, I loved being there.  

Years later, I was glad to be able to take my own children to my magic place.  Spending lazy summer days there meant my kids fed the catfish off the wobbly dock, and laughed as the catfishes whiskered faces poked out of the water to gobble the food that had been thrown to them.  It meant listening for the symphony of bullfrogs at night and in the early morning hours waking up to a cacophony of birdcalls in the woods. It meant teaching my kids to make whistles by placing blades of grass between their thumbs and blowing until they made shrill sounds. It meant they got to explore the nearby caves and the shady, mossy woods and most importantly, my kids hopefully felt that same sense of peace that I knew. 



Around The Campfire
Just as I had done as a child, and in exactly the same spot, my kids and their cousins roasted hot dogs over an open fire.  There was a trick to making the perfect hot dog.  When skin was almost black and the meat inside was bursting with juice, it was then cooked just right. With a bun and a lot of mustard, the first bite made you realize how perfect they were.   Earlier, we had thrown potatoes right into the flames and let their skins blacken.  A quick poke told us if the insides were done.  Then we'd roll the potatoes out of the fire and pick them up using another long stick.  Breaking the potatoes open and letting all the steam out, we waited for them to cool a bit.  Then, we'd slather them with butter,  salt and sour cream and eat them with our hands, making our lips and fingers black from the burnt potato skins. In this photo, my kids and their cousins  are having ‘dessert,’- campfire marshmallows, while Uncle Eddie finishes his hot dog!
 



Uncle Nartcy and Aunt Martha's Farm
Road trips to Pennsylvania always included visits to Uncle Nartcy and Aunt Martha's farm.  Their herding dog, Sport, was an expert on rounding up the cattle and sheep with just a few quick commands. My uncle grew field corn in rows that seemed to go on for infinity.  My cousins and I played hide and seek in the rows  that 'were as high as an elephant's eye.' The care-worn house might have needed a coat of fresh paint, but flowers were tended carefully and were bursts colors against the drab house. Just as when I was a kid, there were litters of kittens to be played with, and chickens to feed, and my kids couldn't wait to do 'farm chores.'  The giant barn that held the summer's hay and all sorts of farm machinery,  made the best place to play during the hot summer days.  My cousins and I made tunnels through the bails, and we took turns swinging like pirates from the rope that was suspended from the highest rafter. In this photo, my kids and their cousins sit on the back porch swing, waiting until we can go and see the sheep. For my uncle and aunt those sheep were just a part of their livelihood, but for my kids and me, they meant we were on a real farm.



Camping Trips

Packing up the car, with no room to move meant we were on the road to another camping trip. The tent, the stove, propane canisters, picnic supplies, pots, pans, table clothes, lanterns, towels, clothing and sleeping bags were jammed into the trunk.  Coolers full of food, and anything that didn't fit in the trunk, was stuffed under foot and between seats.   For my kids, camping was the best when it was with their cousins. Here they are posed momentarily while exploring the campgrounds before we left for the river to swim. Whether it was to Standish-Hickey State Park up near Legget, California, Clear Lake or to the Gold Country, we all knew that the days would be filled with swimming, exploring and just good fun. Bacon and eggs cooked on the propane stove tasted far better than those cooked at home.   At night, walks in the dark with flashlights were especially exciting because distant sounds, might be a wolf, or a bobcat, especially if there was an adult along who seemed convincing.  On one occasion we were all scared half to death by a sudden burst of scampering right behind us in the darkness.  As the kids screamed, they imagined that the noise might be bears, but it turned out to be a band of raccoons that had managed to get the lid off of a garbage can.

No comments:

Post a Comment